The Silver Spring Community Fire Company was formed in April of 1954, and officially organized in June 1954, at which time officers were elected. At this time the use of a building on Garver's Auction grounds was offered as a temporary fire station. In return for the use of the building it was agreed that we would provide a fire truck and ambulance during races at the track. This building was being used as storage at the Silver Spring Speedway until the speedway and drive in were sold and developed into the Silver Spring Square complex.
At the time of formation a 1924 Hale Fire Engine was given to the company, which served very well for several years. Several weeks after formation, a 750 GPM Tank Truck and a 1939 LaSalle Ambulance were donated to the company. A Ladies Auxiliary was formed in the late summer of 1954 and participated in all fund raising activities.
On July 08, 1954 it was decided that we should petition the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to become chartered. This petition was signed by 5 members that later became the first Directors of the fire company. These Directors were, Earl Thomas, Carl Hass, Paul Phelabaum, Melvin Morrow, and John Katcher. On September 02, 1954 we became chartered by the Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania. There were seventy-five charter members on the membership rolls.
July 01, 1959, ground was broken and construction of a new fire station was started. Being erected by firemen and other volunteer labor, it was not occupied until November 17, 1961. This building is located at 6506 Carlisle Pike and is the current location of an automotive repair business.
In November 1970, the Ambulance service was organized into a separate unit for administrative purposes and for more efficient service to the community. The Ambulance remained in our building until 1977 when they moved to a new building on Eleanor Drive.
In 1980 we had one hundred forty members and the following equipment:
1957 Mack, 500 GPM Pumper with 500 gal of water
1961 Seagrave, 750 GPM Pumper with 300 gal of water
1975 Chevrolet Tanker-Pumper, 750gpm with 2500 gal of water
1954 Dodge four-wheel drive Brush truck (converted military vehicle)
In 1987 we purchased a 1968 Dodge Power Wagon Rescue to replace our 1957 Mack. The Power Wagon had a 6,000 KW generator and a 12,000 lb hydraulic winch.
In 1985 we purchased our first new piece of apparatus. It was a 1984 Mack Fire Engine with a five man covered cab, 1000 GPM pump, and 750 gal of water. This engine replaced the 1961 Seagrave. In 1993 we purchased a new Tanker. This Tanker was the first vehicle that was built to our specifications. It was a 1993 E-One cyclone Tanker with a 7 man enclosed cab, 1500 GPM pump, 2,500 gal of water, 1,000 ft of 5" hose and 6 preconnects. This tanker replaced our 1975 Chevrolet Tanker.
The area around our fire station was experiencing an unbelievable surge in construction and it was almost impossible to get in and out of our fire station. Our members had to walk out onto a 5-lane highway in front of our station to stop traffic so we could back our apparatus into the station. Shortly after taking delivery of our new tanker it was decided that for safety reasons we would need to relocate the fire company to a new location in the township. We started construction of our new fire station, which was to be built on land owned by Silver Spring Township.
In April 1995 we moved to our newly constructed building at 6471 Carlisle Pike. This modern building features five bays, and a large banquet facility that would become the new home of our very successful Bingo game and would also be rented out for weddings and other events.
In 1999 we purchased a new Rescue to replace our 1968 Dodge Power Wagon. This Rescue is a 1999 International/E-One crew cab with 10" extension; it features an enclosed 5-man cab, and a 16' non-walk in custom rescue body.
In 2001 we purchased a new Mini Pumper to replace our 1954 Dodge/Military Brush truck. It is a 2000 Ford F550 E-One Super Lynx Mini Pumper with 400 GPM pump, 400 gal water, 40 gal class A foam, 4 wheel drive, and a separate engine for the pump which gives us total pump and roll ability. Also in 2001 we purchased a utility vehicle for our fire police unit. This is a 2001 Ford F450 Werner Custom 4 wheel drive traffic unit, featuring a large traffic sign board, 3.5kw generator, quartz lighting, assorted traffic control equipment and rehab supplies. This unit was the first of its kind in the area and lead to the creation of a new county designation for traffic units. This vehicle now serves as Traffic 31.
In 2005 we purchased a new E-One Typhoon custom structrual engine featuring a 2000 gpm pump with a compressed air foam system (CAFS), 1000 gallons of water, 40 gallons of class A foam and 40 gallons of class B foam.
In 2010 a 2008 Ford F-250 was purchased and equipped as a basic utility vehicle to service the growing need for medical assist services. The unit is equipped with basic life support (BLS) level of care including AED as well as an assortment of equipment to handle service style calls. However, the vehicle was lost to a fire of mechanical nature in January 2014. A replacement is currently in development.
In 2013 our Scott SCBAs were retired in favor of 2013 standard MSA SCBAs.
In 2014 a building expansion project was begun to add on to the current station. The addition is to add additional storage space, apparatus bays, office space and an area to facilitate a live-in program.
We currently have 100 members, cover 33 square miles and respond to an average of 700 calls per year.